Print Ad Design Specifications
Trim Size: 9” x 11.75” (w x h)
Page w Bleed: 9.25” x 12” (.125” all sides)
Page w non bleed: 8.5” x 11.25” (live matter)
Spread: 18” x 11.75” (bleed add .25”)
Half Page non bleed: 8.5” x 5.5”
A color proof should accompany all ad file submissions.
(PDF/X-1a files recommended)
Preferred platforms – Indesign, Photoshop & Illustrator.
PDF files should comply with PDF X-1a specifications, the most reliable, predictable print results.
The PDF version should be either 1.3 or 1.4.
All high-resolution images and fonts must be included when the PDF/X1a file is saved.
Images must be SWOP (CMYK or Grayscale), TIFF or EPS between 200 and 400 dpi. No RGB or JPEG images. Do not nest EPS file into other EPS files. Do not embed ICC Profiles within images.
Fonts can be Type 1, Open type, or TrueType fonts. Multiple Master fonts are not recommended. DO NOT use fonts such as Web or System fonts. Any other type of font is unpredictable. Errors may not show up until final hi-res output and could be missed at plating or on press.
· DO NOT menu-style your fonts.
· Total area density should not exceed SWOP 300%
· No CT/LW, TIFF-IT, or DCS embedded in a PDF “wrapper” (PDF to go).
· All image, art, tint and type elements are set to knock out or overprint
· Minimum image resolution thresholds for images is 151 dpi for continuous tone images and 300 dpi for bit mapped images.
· DO NOT use RGB, LAB, ICC based profiles or RGB ICC profiles, a color shift can happen with undesirable results.
· The ad should be right-reading, in portrait mode, at 100% size, and no rotations.
· Exporting a PDF from InDesign is not recommended. Composite fonts (also known as CID or “Identity-H” fonts) have been known to have problems from time to time. It is best to avoid them. If a customer accepts files from advertisers which contain composite fonts, or export PDFs from any version of InDesign which converts all fonts to the composite format, there is a risk that the fonts will not image correctly.
· DO NOT export as PDF from Quark (5 or 6). Instead write to a postscript file from the native application and distill into a PDF using Adobe Acrobat Distiller using the correct job options.
· DO NOT upload files in a compressed folder (zip/sit).
· Please include crop marks
Digital Magazine Specifications
Submit PDF for Digital Magazine - File no bigger than 1Gig. No Crop Marks. No Bleeds. Submit Content via Dropbox
Provide URLs You Wish to Include in Your eAd
- websites, properties, videos, social media
Max photos per slideshow is 10 (print photo 1 plus 9 more)
Slideshow photos need to be sent as jpegs, 300dpi, and all the same dimension. For example, if there are 9 photos, they all need to be the same dimension ( i.e. 5x7)
True – Images will automatically transition from one to the next.
False – Left and Right Arrows have to be clicked in order to navigate through images.
Delay(ms): Determines how long each image displays.
Slideshow finish option
Loop- Slideshow will loop after last image of slideshow.
Stop – Slideshow will end on the last image.
Embedded - Embeds the slideshow on the desired page.
Pop Up - Slideshow pops-up and starts by clicking on a link.
Audio must be uploaded in MP3 audio format.
Video must be uploaded in either MP4, F4V or FLV video format with the following requirements:
· The recommended bitrate is between 300kb/s and 700kb/s.
· The maximum file size for a video is 100MB.
· Videos must have a duration of 1 second or more.
· The only supported audio codec for FLV files is MP3.
· MP4 files must use the H.264 or x264 codecs for video and the AAC or MP3 codecs for audio
For BOTH print and digital ads high quality standards must be met. Poor quality ads will be rejected by publisher.